Monday, October 3, 2011

Halibut Dinner (& other goodies from the weekend)

There was a small blunder made on my part when I picked a few frozen packages of Halibut from my parents fish locker to take home.

I defrosted one of these packages planning to make some kind of Halibut dinner with the nice filets... until I realized I had a bag of Halibut Cheeks!

Halibut cheeks are like scallops. They're tender little morsels that I absolutely love. They deserve respect and all of your time and effort - so I decided to gourmet them up with a panko/coconut breading and pan sear them. Served with the little nuggets, I boiled some sweet potatoes and sprinkled them with cinnamon for that beautiful aroma. We also had an exorbitant amount of cucumbers so I turned them into a pretty salad by marinating them in Italian Dressing and adding some pickled carrots.

Having some coconut syrup from Hawaii on hand made it easy to whip up a little dipping sauce...

For a quick "breading tutorial" this first image is the coating process with flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs/coconut to create the perfect crust.

And the finished product


And now for the WEEKEND RECAP:

On Sunday I was hankering for a homemade egg mcmuffin, if you will, or any kind of egg breakfast sandwich really. We had no english muffins on hand so I had to come up with a substitute, which really shouldn't even be called a substitute because these biscuits should be what all breakfast sandwiches are made with from here on out, worldwide. Uh-Maze-Ing.

No more talking... just LOOK!





This next picture involves nothing that I did... this is purely God's amazing creation untouched! The best homegrown grapefruits brought home from one of Tommy's co-workers.

And for the last post of the evening, a healthy lunch before my sister and I went shopping a few days ago... so that we could eat an extremely unhealthy Aunt Annie's Pretzel (which we ran out of time for and my hips were screaming thank you)

I had some leftover chicken breasts from dinner that I chopped up and made a curry chicken salad with apple chunks. I love curry anything - but I really love curried chicken salad especially with crispy apples in it...

Thanks for letting me share... if you ever want a specific recipe just ask! I don't like to take up precious picture space with them generally. But I WILL be posting all of my fall pumpkin recipes on here (pumpkin scones, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin butter, etc.) as soon as my freaking grocery store starts stocking the canned pumpkin. GET ON IT PAVILIONS... I've only been waiting all year for October! End of rant... over and out.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Janelle this all looks amazing!!! I especially like the coconut halibut it looked absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog & fun food fotos are amazing lady of the house by the Sea.

    ReplyDelete